
Each of us has someone that has significantly touched our lives. Born March 14, 1920, in Ebenezer, he spent his life defending our freedom and praying for our souls. He was the only grandfather whom I have ever known, and I called him "Uncle Bob."
Thursday, April 13, 2006, was the last day of Uncle Bob's life, and he is greatly missed by many. He fought in World War II, where he received a purple heart for his duties. He later served in our armed forces as a drill sergeant. Also, he spent more than 50 years as the caretaker of the cemetery of the Ebenezer Methodist Church.
Almost anytime that you would pass by the church yard, there Uncle Bob could be seen either mowing grass, getting rid of weeds, or just talking to people in search of their relatives. We called him "The Mayor of Ebenezer" because no one knew this area or the people as well as he did. If anyone had a question, it usually ended up in Uncle Bob's kitchen, over a cup of coffee or a cold drink.
Uncle Bob is my grandmother's uncle. He came from a family of 10 children. He was brothers with my grandmother's father, on my dad's side of the family. Last year, I wrote about a dream that I had of my grandfather's funeral. As I can still vividly recall this dream, I remember standing right beside, almost touching, my Uncle Bob.
Today, I escorted Uncle Bob to his final resting spot beside his beloved wife. It was a tough day for my family, but I know that the highest price to pay for life is death. I will always miss him, but I am grateful for the time that I had. I am a better person for having him in my life.







No comments:
Post a Comment