Now that I know this was Charity and is abandoned; I have an overwhelming desire to tour the inside. I feel the same about the old Rayne Branch Hospital, which was closed in the early 1990s. Of course, if it could be a nighttime tour, all the better, but beggars can't be choosers.
I cross this historic landmark daily. I stare at it through my classroom window. It stands for so much, and now functionally, it stands for so little. The entrances have been boarded up since the storm, and a guard sits at the emergency room entrance. Lives are not saved through those doors anymore. Those walls no longer see pain, and in turn, no joy.
Plans are to destroy this landmark, and rebuild farther up on Airline. The legacy will live on, and the memories will soon be a cloud of dust.








4 comments:
I visited the hospital once to visit a friend who was admitted there about 8-9 years ago and it was a pretty creepy place while functional! i can only imagine what a tour would be like now that it's been abandoned!
I ALWAYS want to go in abandoned buildings! I have no idea why...I just want to see what's left behind, I guess. There was a very creepy old apartment building in Boston that we walked past every morning and night on the way to and from the hospital. It was covered in vines, some vines even growing inside the windows, the blinds were falling off and the fire escapes were all rusted. The basement lights would turn on (automatically, i suppose) at night so I could see a little into the basement. We always joked that Freddy Krueger was in there doing whatever he does. Anyway, all I was trying to say was that I wanted to go in that building SO BAD. I still want to! It seemed like a really neat place at one time.
I'm right there with you. Those things just peak my interest. At our hospital, there are some abandoned offices, and I go in those all the time to check things out. It's not quite the same since the hospital isn't abandoned, but I still thing it's neat.
Bryan--I was born there, back in the days where if you didn't have much cash, you went to someplace called charity hospital to have your baby. My dad was in lawschool. They had been married less than a year.
It's sad to hear of it's planned demise....it removes a landmark Mom would always point to, and say with memory-laden voice,"you were born there!"
Post a Comment