Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Quotes to Remember Edwin Edwards

"I did not do anything wrong as a governor, even if you accept the verdict as it is, it doesn't indicate that."
  • On his indictment and verdict for racketeering


"I never speak ill of dead people or live judges."
  • When asked for a statement while on trial for corruption


"I will be a model prisoner, as I have been a model citizen."
  • On his way to prison in 2001


"The only way I can lose is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy. "
  • on his 1983 Gubernatorial election against incumbent David C. Treen


"My opponent and I have one thing in common we are both rumored to be Wizards under the sheets."
  • On the Governor's Race: Edwards vs. Duke, in 1991


"If we don't get Dave Treen out of office, there won't be anything left to steal."
  • on his 1983 Gubernatorial election against incumbent David C. Treen


Reporter: "What will it take to beat Duke decisively?"
Edwards: "For me to stay alive."

  • During run-off election against David Duke


"Let the bastards freeze in the dark."
  • Referring to Senator Edward Kennedy and Kennedy's political allies and constituents when they had Louisiana natural gas forcibly shipped out of state at artificially low prices during the energy crisis - causing shortages and price hikes of natural gas in Louisiana and an unprecedentedly cold winter for residents of the state.


“He’s so slow that he takes an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes.”

  • Edwin Edwards describing his opponent, Dave Treen in the 1984 Governor’s race.

No comments: