Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

I'm not a bitter, but I think love today is over-rated. Everyone is looking for that perfect person, which doesn't exist. They dream of that fairy-tale love that they see in movies, on TV, or read in stories. That stuff isn't real! I never hear them burping or farting in love stories.

I have been noticing the little lovers of Lafayette running around looking for goodies for their Valentine. Yeah, it's a nice gesture. I'll give it that. It is just that today, relationships seem to be preoccupied with material possessions. Girls are worried about getting married, and as soon as her man pops the question, it is all about the wedding ceremony.

She and her girlfriends are first evaluating the ring. "How much was it? How big is it? Where did he get it? Color/cut/clarity?" Yeah, they need to chill out. Of course, she has got to get the best dress and design her wedding bigger and better than her best friend that got married last year. It's all a competition. Not all girls are this way, thank goodness. It just seems like the majority of the ones of the 20-something age group are just skin deep.

Last week, I overheard a conversation in my Statistics class. I'm nosy, and I'm not shy about eavesdropping. I don't know their real names, so I'll just make some up. Gertrude was talking about how she is dating her high school sweetheart, and they have been together since they were freshmen in high school. They are now engaged, but they don't plan on getting married anytime soon because they need to focus on school. Shaneeka said that she's been with her boyfriend for a few years, and they are content with where they are right now. Ramona said, that she has been with her boyfriend for 4 months, and she is ready to get married NOW. She knows that he's the one, and she doesn't want to waste any time.

Gertrude and Shaneeka look at her like she just feel out of a tree. Ramona, unaffected goes on to talk about how great their love has been, and it can only continue to grow and flourish. I had to stop listening at that point because my stomach got a little upset.

This week, Ramona comes to class and talks about her boyfriend again. He asked her to give him space, and she wants to do everything that he asks. What else would she do? She's a psycho puppet. It's so hard for her not to call him 20 times a day because she just loves him so much.

Yeah, I can see why he wants his space. Can you?

Anyway, since it was Valentine's Day, I thought I would talk about "love." Also, I know the day is historically significant, but I didn't know all of the details. I went to The History Channel Website, and got the following information:

Every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged
between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. But who is this mysterious
saint and why do we celebrate this holiday? The history of Valentine's Day --
and its patron saint -- is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has
long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains
vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. So, who was Saint
Valentine and how did he become associated with this ancient rite? Today, the
Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or
Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.

One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third
century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better
soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men
-- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the
decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in
secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be
put to death.

Other stories suggest that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to
help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and
tortured.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine'
greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love
with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him
during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a
letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in
use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories
certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly,
romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of
the most popular saints in England and France


Well, if you are on my mass email list, I will send you a poem that I send out annually. It's funny, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.


Happy Birthday Anne! I hope you have a great day, and I'll talk to you later.

No comments: