Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Eat Fresh

I ate lunch at Subway yesterday. No, I am not one of those people who made a New Year's resolution to lose weight. Actually, I never make resolutions. If I want to do something, I start today. In November, I'm not going to say: "I'm going to lose weight, next year." No, that's dumb. I procrastinate. I admit it. On the other hand, I realize there are some things that you just cannot put off.

So, back to lunch at Subway. There was a lady sitting across from me, eating. Yes eating because that is what you do after you get your food at a restaurant. She was heavy-set, but not huge. I couldn't tell her age, but she was probably in her fifties.

I was trying not to stare, but I noticed that as she would eat, she would glance up at the menu. It looks like she was not that familiar with the menu, so she was browsing at all the items. After finishing her six-inch sub, she started looking at the napkin. The napkins have the calorie and fat contents of some of their sandwiches.

My heart went out to her. It struck me that she made a new year's resolution. She is desperate to lose weight. She has probably tried every fad diet out there, and failed miserably. Well, she isn't alone. Fad diets don't work. The problem is that many people are clueless when it comes to nutrition. So, she followed the media, and ate at Subway.

Why Subway? Well, all the promotions with Jared. Look how much weight he lost.

I could not imagine eating Subway all the time. It's a good choice here and there, but nothing there has a flavor; the cookies are good. Quiznos....Now there is a good choice. Those sandwiches have flavor, and they are GOOD.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

by the way, I forgot to tell you in my last comment but that probably was us in the mall. We were there on New Year's Eve! (I don't know why that sentence needed an exclamation point)

katie said...

I do miss Quizno! mmmmmmmm.
ANd I agree with the whole resolution thing--I don't like the pressure of waiting for New Year's. If I'm gonna do it, I say I might as well start now. It's just like having a baby. :) You don't have him on New Year's Day because you want a change in your life. You have them whenever they come, and then your life is changed.

And it's good.