Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Deep breath in...

...cleansing breath out. More and more, I am realizing that I made the right decision to take this job with the Knights of Columbus. I did say that I have some insecurities, but that will all pass with time and as I build more confidence. The atmosphere is completely different than to what I'm accustomed.

If you would like some background, I will tell you all of the places that I have worked. First, I worked at Wright Enrichment, Incorporated as a Laboratory Assistant. After finishing that internship, I started working at Hampton Mitsubishi as a runner/file clerk/receptionist. It was the perfect job for working after-school. In search of that "medical experience," I then took a position at Lafayette General Medical Center as a Ward Clerk; I learned so much. Next, was the Olive Garden. Wow! This was one horrible job. I waited tables, and I was also a wine host. I quit showing up for work at the OG, to work at Lafayette's Restaurant. This job was better because I just about doubled my income; on the flip side, I was working for a greedy camel jockey. The last few months that I worked at Lafayette's, I was also working for Abercrombie & Fitch, as a brand representative. This was a pretty fun and upbeat job and getting 30% off of merchandise didn't hurt either. I was thinking about becoming management there, but I just could not see myself working in the mall with BS in Biology. Finally, leaving Lafayette's and Abercrombie & Fitch, at the same time, I took a position at Southern Petroleum Laboratories as an "Organic Extractions Laboratory Technician," and I was later bumped up to "Shift Supervisor." I thought working in a lab was great experience, and I would finally get to put my education to use. Well, let me just stress: NEVER WORK AT SPL! As stated before, I am currently employed with the Knights of Columbus.

I am thankful now for what I have, and I am glad that I did not pass up this opportunity. (Especially after talking to people from SPL the past two nights!)

No comments: