Wednesday, April 20, 2005

That's how we roll

Today, I went with Cypress, along with her travelling companion, on a hiking trip. It was completely spur of the moment, and I apologize if I didn't call to invite anyone. Cypress called me at about 08:30, and asked me how soon it would take me to get to her house to go hiking. I said, "I'll be there in about 35 minutes." Then, we were on our way...

First, we stopped at the gas station to tank up, where I paid $1.99/gallon. I like to advertise the cheapest prices that I see and pay. It is really sad when $1.99/gallon is cheap.

Two hours later, we arrived at our destination. The weather was beautiful, perfect day for hiking. We paid our admissions in the "Honor Box," and we started up the trail. We come upon sign #1.


"Experienced hikers in excellent physical condition," that's all us. The first waterfall we came upon was so beautiful. It was big, and the water was ice cold. So, we stripped down and swam. Man...you should have seen the frogs that were getting it on down there, and they were doing it froggy style. I didn't take my camera or backpack down the first waterfall because it looked pretty difficult to get to the bottom. I didn't want to fall, or break my camera. So, we didn't get any great shots of that. We'll save that one for next time.


Here's a picture of the second waterfall. This was such a great angle that I couldn't pass it up.


Here is Cypress at the second waterfall catching the ice cold water in her hands. You can tell it's cold by her reaction.


Along the trail, we spotted a tree with a huge split in it. I had Cypress stand in it to show just how amazing it really was. It makes you wonder what caused such a drastic change in the tree's anatomy.


Cypress's good eye spotted this King Snake. These snakes do bite, but they are not poisonous. They are good snakes because they actually fight off the bad snakes. So, you probably would not want to kill one of these.

We saw several birds along the way, but they were hard to spot because of all the trees. They have plenty of places to hide. We heard lots of woodpeckers, but were never able to see any. I was really looking for the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. They are believed to be extinct, but that is still questionable. There is a big reward if anyone can prove a spotting of one.


This is the first bird that we saw, a Scarlet Tanager.


Here is the second bird that we spotted, a Magnolia Warbler. It took me forever to find this bird. He kept jumping around, and flying away from me. Tricky little fella.


This bird we actually did not see, but I know the call. He is a Prothonotary Warbler. His call is very distinct, and hard to mistake.


Cypress does not go on a roadtrip without Kermit. Here's the frog himself chillen' by a small stream. Man, it's not easy being green.

1 comment:

beth hintze said...

Hmmmm, too bad some of us work for a living! ha! just kidding...just a few more weeks and it's sweet summer for me! So where is this trail? It looks really nice. And i guess that ornithology class came in handy after all?! Now, did YOU take those pics, or are they examples of what you saw? Thanks for the post...looks like you had a great time!