Monday, June 06, 2005

Can't Make the Cut

First, I would like to make a disclaimer. I have many friends in the business, and I do not intend to offend anyone.

Now, I am sick and tired of people trying to give me advice about a job. They now know that I have a job. Even when I was in school, people told me, "What are you going to do with a Biology degree, teach?" Obviously, these folks are clueless.

I will stick with my motto: Those who can't....teach. It's simple.

Almost every person I know who could not handle their own curriculum, in college, switched to education. It was the easy way out. I hear an echo.

Also, teachers are always whining about how they want more pay. Let us see...They work mid-August through May. They are off for a week for Thanksgiving, two weeks for Christmas, and a week for Easter. That's another month off! Also, they are off for countless other holidays during the school year. Their schedule is 08:00-15:00. Hmm...that's less than normal people work during a day. Oh, then there is the excuse, "We have duty!" OK...so you have to sit on your ass for 45 minutes to an hour doing absolutely nothing but gossiping with students or other teachers. That doesn't sound so bad. Then the teachers that only teach a class for an hour have an "off-hour," so they have an hour break during the day.

So, then there is the next excuse: "We spend all night making lesson plans, tests, and grading papers." Well, that is true for teachers in their first year of teaching a class. After that first year, you use old test from the previous year, with some minor revisions. Lesson plans do not change that much from year to year either. As for grading papers, I have never been in a class that teachers didn't have their pet grade the tests. Also, there is the infamous passing back of the tests. Teachers are slackers.

Some have a superiority complex. I am sure we have all come in contact with some. Since they couldn't make the cut in their own life, they like to give others, that they think are beneath them, a hard time.

If I was a teacher, I would be dragged out in handcuffs the first time one of those little bastards mouthed off to me. Teachers say they deserve more money for putting up with the kids. I think that is the side affect of taking the easy way out. The main complainers of those in education are the teachers who never had a real job before. They are used to crying to mommy and daddy.

1 comment:

beth hintze said...

Exactly what crawled up in your butt and died to make you grouse so much about teachers?! And that disclaimer bit is basically to say, "I know this is gonna piss you off, but I'm gonna mouth off about something I know nothing about!"

And what exactly HAVE you done with a biology degree? It's one that you need a master's or doctorate in order to use with any effectiveness, and since you hate school so much, that's never gonna happen! AND I can't believe that you of all people are complaining about OTHER people wanting more pay! In a world where 'entertainers' demand millions to hit a ball or pretend to be someone else for two hours, how does it make sense that teachers are so poorly paid.

I don't think that teachers are so horribly paid overall, but the philosophy I tend to support is that of "put your money where your mouth is." You want quality education and students who are able to compete at a competent level with those of other countries? Why not start investing in that rather than trying to see exactly how little we can get by with paying these 'incompetent suckers who can't do anything else but teach?!' And hell yeah, we get the holidays--it's a perk. But we don't get hour-long lunches and pto. And name one teacher who actually works 8-3 and that's it?!

I give up! There are so many ignorant statements here, that it would take much to much energy to combat such drivel. You have no idea what it means to be a teacher and what it takes to be a teacher. If you don't want to be a teacher, don't teach. But what right have you to make ANY comments on a field that you've only ever experienced from the perspective of a student...and a student at Crowley High School, to boot!

I love you Brian but shut up because you don't know what you're talking about.