For most of my life I have lived in a small community outside of Crowley, LA, called Ebenezer. I am a graduate of Crowley High School, and last year, I earned my Bachelor's of Science in Biology, with a minor in Chemistry, from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
With my degree, I was able to gain employment at Southern Petroleum Laboratories as an Organic Extractions Laboratory Technician, and within months, I was promoted to Shift Supervisor. Beginning wages were $8.50 per hour, and when I resigned in March 2005, my wages were a mere $10.50 per hour. Diminutive amounts for someone that worked hard to complete a rigorous degree program. There were several contributing factors that lead up to my resignation, but that is not the aim of this correspondence.
One reason that I resigned is because I was offered a position as a Field Agent, with the Knights of Columbus here in Lafayette. Shortly, I discovered that selling insurance was not in my nature, and I stepped down out of respect for the agency and the organization.
Currently, I am challenged with the task of locating employment here in the Acadiana area. This is a great place to live. I love this part of the country. I love my family, and I love Acadiana. However, the lack of suitable employment may force me to search for opportunities out of state.
The TOPS program was designed to allow more of Louisiana’s students the opportunity of a college education. As a TOPS recipient, it is greatly appreciated, but with the lack of employment opportunities here, the money that the state has spent on TOPS may be lost to surrounding states.
I do not want to relocate. I need to work, but I cannot find a job, in my field. Today, I noticed a sign at Sonic on Pinhook Road, in Lafayette, that read, "Now Hiring." Granted, Sonic is a great opportunity for some; however, with a degree in Biology, it should be possible for me to find something more suited to my educational background and experience. I was saddened by the fact that I may have to resort to working in fast food, just to make ends meet. Is it possible for Louisiana to offer something more, or do I need to move somewhere more economically stable?
I appreciate your time and consideration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment