Sunday, May 29, 2005

Red-Tailed Hawk

I rode my bike to work today to see how long it would take. Always, there is a hawk perched on Airport Road. I have always seen at least one, but many times they are paired, on the lookout for their prey. So, while I was riding my bike, I passed under the bird. I guess it made an alarm call. It was a rasping whistled scream cheeeeerrrr falling in pitch and intensity. You know, the sound that is usually used in movies. The exception is that when the bird is almost right above you and only about 25 feet away, it is pretty freaky. It sent chills down my spine, and I had goosebumps.



The Red-Tailed Hawk is uncommon but widespread; it is commonly seen perched on trees, poles, or fenceposts along roads or fields. Because it is so numerous and easily seen, this species is the one against which all other buteos are compared. Nests in tall trees with open feeding areas nearby. Solitary. Hunts mainly from perch, choosing same sentinel perch day after day; sometimes hunts from the air while kiting. Feeds mainly on small mammals. Stocky and broad, with rounded wings and short tail. Striking red tail of adult distinctive. In flight, also note pale underside of flight feathers and dark mark on leading edge of underwing.

No comments: